Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Week 1, 2011: Typewriter spotting round-up


Alpina with Swiss-French keyboard

Handsome brown case and cleaning brush

Hermes Media 3 with German keyboard

The Media 3 had a "deluxe" case (the latch to open it is in the form of a button located on top of the case, and it has a green Bakelite handle).

Scheidegger International (in reality a relabeled Triumph/Adler Gabriele, without a case)

 Good news: in the ten minutes that I spent oohing and aahing over the Alpina, a fellow came by and bought the Hermes standard, which was sold to him for the equivalent of twenty bucks. 

This is the first time I have seen someone (besides myself) expressing any interest in (let alone buying!) a thrift store/ flea market manual typewriter. He did not try it out, so I can only assume he wanted it as a decorative item. Still, it's something. So, counting the discovery of the Alpina, that is two typewriter-related firsts in one day. 2011 is starting off very nicely indeed.

(While the tile of this post indicates that I hope to have a "typewriter spotting round-up" every week, that may not always happen. At least once a month would be nice, though.)

1 comment:

  1. Ah, you also discovered the migthy Alpina! I took it home for you (not from Carouge, but from ebay), and was I not pleasantly surprised... excellent typing in a neat, crisp elite style. The Alpina didn't strike me as very attractive, but reveals its qualities once you get to know her...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Please note that comments are moderated; so this will be posted as soon as I have read it :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...